Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||University of Houston-Downtown
||Houston, TX United States
|| Education, Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration
Assistant Professor in Management Information Systems|
The Department of Finance and Management Information Systems (FNIS) of the Marilyn Davies College of Business (MDCOB), at the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) invites applicants for a tenure-track position in Management Information Systems to begin in August 2021. The MDCOB is accredited by AACSB and enrolls 2,500+ undergraduate and more than 1,100 graduate students. The department offers majors in Management Information Systems as well as Finance, in addition to minors in those two disciplines as well as in Economics.
While being the second largest university in Houston, the University of Houston-Downtown provides life-changing educational access and opportunities to individuals living in one of the most diverse metropolitan areas in Texas. The University is noted nationally as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Minority-Serving Institution. The ideal candidate should be student-centered, utilizing pedagogical approaches that emphasize practical application. The ideal candidate is expected to demonstrate a commitment to academic research in their discipline and a willingness to work with others in promoting the advancement of the university including serving on department, college, and university-wide committees as well as to the profession and the community.
Required Attachments by Candidate:
In a first stage, interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae and a letter of application specifically addressing why they are a good fit for the position, the Marilyn Davies College of Business, and UHD. Applicants must also submit unofficial copy of their doctoral program transcript. Applicants selected to move to the second stage of the process will be requested to submit evidence of teaching effectiveness, samples of scholarship, and a list of references. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position if filled.
Qualifications & Requirements
1. Applicants for the Assistant Professor position should have a terminal degree in Management Information Systems or related field from an AACSB accredited college, or should be working towards one having reached the all-but-dissertation (ABD) status. For appointment, the doctorate must be completed by the date of appointment in Fall 2021.
2. Demonstrated quality teaching at the college level that recognizes the transformative power of education and embraces a desire to serve the needs of a diverse and upwardly mobile student body.
3. Demonstrated research ability commensurate with the timeline of obtaining a terminal degree is needed. In other words, while refereed national level conference proceedings will be appropriate for applicants with the ABD status, multiple peer-reviewed journal articles in respected publications are expected from applicants more experienced since obtaining their terminal degree.
4. Evidence of industry experience in Information Systems.
1. Experience in teaching a variety of Information Systems courses including Programming, Mobile and Web application development, Computer Networking and Data Communications, Enterprise Architecture, Cybersecurity, Business Analytics, and other information systems core and elective courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
2. Given the needs of MDCOB students, successful candidates must be willing to teach a variety of days, times, and modalities (i.e., face-to-face, online, and hybrid formats). Faculty are expected to teach courses offered at the primary campus located in downtown Houston, as well off-campus locations located in suburban Houston.
3. Evidence of taking initiative or leadership in developing new innovative programs meeting the needs of employers.
4. Active research agenda that meets the expectations of AACSB standards for universities that fall in the Carnegie classification of Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs.
5. Experience of active role in developing and maintaining student engagement via student organizations or other means.
6. Demonstrated experience serving on department, college, and university-wide committees as well as other service to the profession and the community.
University of Houston-Downtown|
The University of Houston-Downtown is a comprehensive four-year university offering bachelor’s and selected master’s degree programs and providing strong academic and career preparation as well as life-long learning opportunities. Located in the heart of the city, the University reflects the diversity of the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area, and, through its academic programs, engages with the community to address the needs and advance the development of the region. UHD is an inclusive community dedicated to integrating teaching, service, and scholarly research to develop students’ talents and prepare them for success in a dynamic global society. UHD draws students from throughout the Greater Houston area. UHD is considered one of the most ethnically diverse liberal arts institutions in the southwest, a distinction that indicates the student body accurately reflects the Houston community's wealth of cultures, languages and nationalities. The University offers all students a specially tailored opportunity for quality higher education, as well as small classes. UHD employs over 1,100 faculty and staff.
Since opening its doors in 1974, UHD has grown in mission and service, and now offers baccalaureate degrees in 44 areas and eight master's degree programs. Over 14,000 students attend classes in five colleges: Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities and Social Sciences; Public Service; Sciences and Technology; and University College. UHD boasts over 51,000 alumni and is noted nationally as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Minority-Serving Institution. As one of the four distinct and separate components of the University of Houston System, UHD offers educational opportunities and access to students from a variety of backgrounds, including many first-generation college students, students who work full- or part-time, students with additional family obligations, and students who transfer from community colleges and other higher education institutions. The University of Houston System is a public system of higher education that includes three other universities in addition to UHD—the University of Houston, UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria.